They're Doing Choreography

I have some experience with dancing. I started out at age three, and while at age 23, I'm not dancing 7 days a week anymore, I've been choreographing for the last three years. Every audition I attend (whether I'm on one side of the table or the other) it amazes me how many people who can't dance get called back, or vice versa. It bothered me for a long time, but I think I've finally cracked the case. So, Theatre Peep, if you struggle to make it past the dance round, I have some advice for you:

1) Don't be that statue in Mary Poppins the Musical!!!
Not really, but what I mean is that you can nail a triple pirhouette, but if you don't have a little passion/style/emotion behind it, they can't use you. No one wants to watch a technically perfect, emotionless blob on stage. Listen to the music and see what the composer is trying to convey. Think about what's happening in the scene. Actors, approach the dance call like a cold read. And go watch Black Swan with Natalie Portman (seriously, not only is that busting with amazing acting, but the whole movie is about the point I'm trying to make to you!).

2) Fix your resume.
If you're like me, your resume has a hell of a lot of credits, but most of them are community theater (if you aren't, then good for you. I'm proud of you).  List your training. All of it. You may have deserved a Tony for your portrayal of Eponine in Led Mis, but the CD has no way of knowing, especially if they don't know about your theater. Your training, however, shows that you probably aren't just that CT director's favorite, and you might be worth a second glance. Try it. That's all I'm saying.

3) Take a class.
You might think this belongs at the top of the list. Nah. It never hurts to have your resume stuffed with dance styles you know. Spend some time on your craft, because if you're auditioning for musical theater, you'll do best of you're a triple threat. If you're strapped for cash, look up tutorials on YouTube. Hot tip: if you have a talent for picking up steps, you can pretty much learn basic tapping from a few videos.

Anyways, that's what I've got for ya today. Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them below. Happy Sunday!

Comments